Step out our door and back in time as you examine the buildings and houses that make up the Dallas Historic District. This fine
collection of 19th and early 20th century buildings help tell the story of Piedmont village life.
The history of Gaston County dates back to the 1750’s when the area was first settled by people of German and Scotch-Irish
descent. Following their heritage, each group settled in geographic areas similar to their homeland. Today those settlement
patterns still can be seen in the local family surnames and the clusters of Presbyterian and Lutheran churches in Gaston County.
Dallas was a planned community. When Gaston County was formed in 1846, no town existed within its borders. For convenience,
the county seat was stipulated to be “no more that two miles from Long Creek Baptist Church” which is one mile east of the square
today. The town name was chosen to honor the U.S. Vice President at that time, George Mifflin Dallas. The land was originally farm
land owned by Jesse Holland, who sold seventy-five acres to the county for fifty dollars.
In the late 19th century, Gaston County experienced rapid growth with the development of the southern textile industry. Much of
the growth was concentrated near a railroad intersection called Gastonia Station. As that tiny spot grew into a city, the focus of
population and power moved out of Dallas. After three referendums, a vote in September 1909 to change county seats was passed.
On January 1, 1911 the courthouse in Gastonia opened and a chapter in the life of Dallas closed. Fortunately, the architecture of
Dallas stands to tell us of the early years of the town and the development of Gaston County.
131 West Main Street, Dallas, North Carolina, 28034